1/08/2010

Fox and Raven

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


This morning I heared quite a racket outside the window. Looking out, I was really amazed at the sight in the early sunlight.

A small fox was there in the middle of the field, digging in the frozen ground to get something out.
Two rather large raven where hopping and crawing beside him, trying to get a hit at the prey. He barked at them, chased them a bit and kept digging eagerly.

He caught a rabbit, but the raven tried to steal it from him, pecking at his head and tail ... so he run a few meters but they came right after him, pecking and crowing like mad.

He took a few bites before one raven picked again at his tail. He ran away screaming, obviously in pain and left the rabbit lying on the ground.

One of the raven took it in his mouth, but could not fly away, so he dragged it into the opposite direction for a few more meters and took a good bite.

Then the next raven flew close, grabed the rest of the rabbit and flew off into a tree, starting his breakfast there.

The fox came back screaming in anger, following the smell of the pray on the ground and stood there where the raven had take off ... could not find the smell on the ground any more, shook his head in wonder and barked again in anger.

Then he took off slowly toward the forest
and was soon out of sight.






my neighbours
fighting for food again ...
cold morning sun





:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



The Fox and the Raven
Fable by Aesop



KIGO :

Crow, Raven (karasu)

Fox (kitsune)



. . . Read my Haiku Archives 2010


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

10 comments:

anonymous said...

Oh I loved this sooo much Gabi!
I do miss the snow and all the critters
thank you for sharing yours
aloha

Hiruta said...

too wonderful to say anything...
Wonderful again!

facebook said...

Enjoyed that description, Gabi! Hard on the fox (not to mention the rabbit). It's a rough world.
Johannes

facebook said...

People are struggling to survive too.
Good haiku Gabi.
Kathy

anonymous said...

How nice tale! It reminds me of Aesop's Fables.
M.

anonymous said...

poor fox, poor rabbit, poor raven, :-(

reminds me of wilee coyote and roadrunner... as archetypical as it gets

reminds me of that japanese war film where the buddhist lady walks the walls
repeating amo abo dabo while war wages all around

and also the famous old koan of the fox

old fox
in a wintry field
glances at me, walks away

isa

anonymous said...

Yes Gabi, wonderful! I really enjoyed this. Thank you for this look into your neighborhood.
P

anonymous sh said...

I found myself coming back to haiku, and the "snapshot", with words. This is what I've always wanted to do - minimalist words.

However, I'm so USED to lots of words, that I couldn't figure out a way to begin - until I read a recent entry, where someone was talking about his neighbors -
the fox and ravens. He wrote about what they were doing and wrote a haiku at the end. I was reminded of BASHO and his travel journals - something I've ALWAYS wanted to write.

THANK YOU, kind person, who wrote that entry. I'm starting to try to write those. Maybe I'll gain some courage, and show one or two to you.
md

anonymous said...

Gabi is truly everything you say about her and more. Don't be afraid to share your haiku.
RW

Anonymous said...

this is quite a synchronicity gabi.
i could hardly believe what i was reading: on the same day you observed the fox cub incident, we (husband and myself) plus a neighbour stood outside in the snow
to locate the source of a terrible noise in the wood.
soon we discovered that it was a fox and crows in an almost identical scenario. huband made a path right down the garden, through deep snow, to get a better view/check whether the cub was likely to be o.k. or needed our help.
it was clearly not happy but didn't appear badly injured.
S.
HT2

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .