5/29/2009

no rain

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


summer sun
and no rain in sight -
the farmers pray for water



It is time for planting the terraced rice fields, but there is not enough water in the paddies.
In winter, a tree fell down in a storm and hit the little shrine of our water diety

... so maybe he is angry now?



:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

... Rain Rituals (amagoi) Japan.
Rain Dance, Rain Prayer, Regenzauber




. . . Read my Haiku Archives 2009


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5 comments:

anonymous said...

I hope not Gabi. No rain is no fun. The farmers in our area need rain too. The East coast is getting washed away by so much rain and we get very little.
I like your Haiku
B.from Australia

Anonymous said...

A painful situation, indeed. The last line falls a bit flat for me; one farmer's prayer would move me more, I think.
B.NY.

anonymous said...

Hi, Gabi. I also wondered about not needing both 'rain' and 'water' in the ku. L1 also suggests L2, so perhaps more room for something else? I love the image evoked when you talk about the terraced fields. I wondered about:

summer sun
on the terraced fields -
farmers pray for rain

M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gabi. Loving the thought that produced this. On first read, I wanted to omit the final two words, (or change L3 to 'praying farmers;) but I also like M's suggestion lot.
S.

Gabi Greve said...

Thanks for your kind suggestions.

You should see these guys shading their eyes, screening the sky, listening to the weather forecast ... and no rain in sight !
Tomorrow we have the terraced rice field festival, usually just after the planting season, but this year ...
We should ask every visitor to bring a bottle of water and poor it into the fields.

summer sun
and no rain in sight -
farmers pray for water

Gabi

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .