6/19/2007

rose buds

  
  






raindrops
on the rose buds -
a letter from home










:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Comments from HH Members!

Very nice, Gabi. Your third line makes me think that the letter's arrival is as nurturing as the raindrops on the rose. I really like this.

.....

Roses are for remembrance and love _ your 3rd line is most appropriate!
Lovely poem!

.....

well done, enjoyed the moment.

.....

i enjoyed to read your haiku, Gabi! very nice!
.....

Nice one, Gabi . . . and always lovely to get a letter from home.

.....

What I like about it is the way it lets go of the first image.
We are often so focused on playing off of that first image, resonating with it, or paralleling in some way -- prescribing, if you will, some sort of unity. This haiku is totally unforced, unconstructed I guess you could say, but nevertheless, a unified whole.
I learned from this one. Thank you for posting it.

..... GABI says:

Guard well your spare moments.
They are like uncut diamonds.
Discard them and their value will never be known.
Improve them and they will become
the brightest gems in a useful life.


Ralph Waldo Emerson

...............................

your spare moments
your treasure moments
your haiku moments


.....

Gabi,

I am aware that you practice shasei, because you linked to my short analysis of Joan Payne Kincaid's shasei in your blog http://haikutopics.blogspot.com/2006/07/shasei-sketch-from-nature.html

I've been meaning to thank you for that.

Anyway, even in shasei, take Joan's as an example, there is often an authorial "construction." I don't really have appropriate language to express this. I mean some sort of intervention or interpretation. The haijin has selected the elements with an eye towards, I don't know, cleverness maybe, or beauty sometimes -- towards INTENTIONAL resonance in either case

I often feel that I can't "get" a haiku on a given day; that I can not espy some interesting elements to connect, and so, have nothing to write.

Your haiku makes no attempt tat intentional resonance.. It "let's go" (again, suffering from lack of useful phrasing) of the first image entirely, instead of try to hinge upon it or play off of it. Personally, from where I am at in my development as a haijin, I just find that very instructive and I thank you for it.

I also enjoyed the quote from Emerson, by the way, and intend to pass it along to a friend who is having a bad day today.

..... GABI says:

Dear T.,

the difficult part is really to let go, the timing ...
After practising Japanese Archery, Kyuudoo for more than 30 years, I have come to value the exercise as a means of taiken 体験, physical experience, much more than the philosophical bubbles about it.

If you are not absolutely with the action, the bowstring will soon punish you, so to speak, with a bruise on the arm or broken spectacles or whatever ... ...
any intentions (will people like my haiku? will it go published here or there?) will hamper the natural flow ... so you have to experience the

aiming without aiming ...

I might try and put my thoughts about this

............ Japanese Archery and the Art of Haiku

one of these days, haha, if my arrow hits my haiku or vice versa ...

a bit of it is here
http://haikutopics.blogspot.com/2006/04/target-mato.html


.....

Thank you, Gabi, that was interesting.

For me, whether someone else will like and certainly not whether it will ever get published, truly never enters my mind. It's more "Is there something WORTHY here?" Either something remarkable or a way of showing it remarkably or perhaps, does some align with something else in a way that is, well, remarkable. See what I mean?

But I do appreciate your thoughts about the arrow, which I take to mean, the direction of one's consciousness.

.....

This is a perfect moment... captured so well, Gabi!

.....

I agree...one of those rare perfect moments captured perfectly --
in awe..... xxx applauds

........................................



Read my Haiku Archives 2007

rose
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

3 comments:

Gabi Greve said...

.
The secret, somebody has said, is to catch the haiku when it happens.
Good catch, Gabi.

Best, Bill K

..................................

Thanks Bill, indeed, as I said elsewhere, I was just taking the photo when the postman came ...

GABI
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Anonymous said...

Gabi- So lovely...

a friend from America

Anonymous said...

What I like about it is the way it lets go of the first image. We are often so focused on playing off of that first image, resonating with it, or paralleling in some way -- prescribing, if you will, some sort of unity. This haiku is totally unforced, unconstructed I guess you could say, but nevertheless, a unified whole.

I learned from this one.
Thank you for posting it.

A Friend from HH.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .