8/31/2007

Praying Mantiss

  
  





a visitor's card
left at my doorstep ...
praying mantiss













:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


This is her husk on the red cap of my husband.

She left it to start her new life a size bigger than before !
Like a cicada or snakes, they change size and leave us their treasures behind ...

Some even grind these hulls to powder and make Chinese medicine for long life out of it!
To find one is an auspicious omen !



. Comments from HH friends

I saw the photo of the Praying Mantis. Very sad . . .
But a thought provoking haiku.

.....

Hi Gabi,
This is amazing..gives me the shivers, but I love the sabi element. Our life is so short and so fragile, isn't it.

.....

it's beautiful GABI and your haiku resontes well!

.....

Oh, this is wonderful, Gabi san!
I didn't realize they did that...
I've never seen one around here, although I think they do live in our area.

............................................

Praying Mantiss, a KIGO



Read my Haiku Archives 2007


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabi . . .
that is so amazing! While I've certainly seen a praying mantis, I've never seen its cast off skin,
and the symbolism is enchanting.

I thank you.

N. from USA

Anonymous said...

Gabi san ohayou gozaimasu from GEORGIA USA

I was greeted by a praying mantis the first time I visited Gakurakuan. This was also true the first time I visited Etusko san's home in Hannou City.

Hmmmm... and now the husk... perhaps this is an invitation to return again? I am hopeful.

I met a lady that kept pet tarantulas and she also kept their carapice every time they molted. She had a box of them to show as
part of introducing these interesting animals to young children.
Each molt produced a life-size replica of the tarantula. It was amazing!!!

the alcove
fills with guest shoes --
praying mantis

keigu

ai... chibi
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cherrypoetryclub/message/31574

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .